The historic homes and buildings of San Augustine housed pioneers, patriots of the Republic of Texas, and officials from every phase of government in Texas, from an Alcalde to a US Ambassador.

The architecture varies from the Greek Revival of the Cartwright home, to the Victorian Pink Lady, to the more utilitarian old San Augustine Jail.

Pictured at right is the Ezekiel Cullen home.

 

Augus Theatre/Museum Theatre  
The theatre was constructed in the 1920s by E. H. Blount and operated by William Wade from 1927 until 1972. It currently houses the San Augustine County Historical Society.
 
 
Bland-Fisher Home  
The home was constructed in 1916 for James Jefferson and Mattie Baggett Bland, and was later passed to their daughter, Lula Bland, wife of Guy B. Fisher.
Private Residence: visible from road, located at Bland Lake
Colonel Stephen William Blount Home  
This stately one story home was built in 1839 by noted architect Augustus Phelps for Stephen William Blount, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Captain T. W. Blount Home  
This two-story frame home was built in the late 1860s by Thomas W. and Mary Rather Blount.
Private property: not visible, Hwy 21 W
O.H.P. Bodine Home  
The John Bodine family migrated to Texas in the 1820s. The current structure, the third home on this site, was built in 1886.
Private property: visible from County RD 113
Old Brookeland Depot  
Built in 1914. John Henry Kirby Lumber Company organized the Great Northern Railway (later Santa Fe) to move heavy lumber. When Sam Rayburn Dam was being built in 1960, the railway was moved and the depot was relocated.
Private property: located at Attoyac Farm, visible from FM 1196
   
Columbus Cartwright Home  
This home is a blend of the early two room house and a Greek Revival House. One of the chimneys was dated March 17, 1838. The south portion of the house, attached later, was once the Bailey Anderson dwelling.
Private property: not visible, Hwy 21
Mathew Cartwright/Isaac Campbell Home  
Built by Augustus Phelps in 1839 for Isaac Campbell, it was purchased by Mathew Cartwright in 1847. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this home is a fine example of the Greek Revival style of architecture.
 
China Grove/Samuel Davis Home  
This log home was built by Samuel S. Davis on land which was part of the E. Quirk Survey in the early 1840s. Constructed of large square hand-hewn logs, the two original chimneys are made of hand-hewn rock.
   
The Columns  
This house was built in 1902 for J. Matthew Cartwright and his wife, Emmie, by ship builder Mr. Ketchum. The house remained in the Cartwright family until 2001.
   
Ezekiel Cullen Home  
Built in 1839 by noted architect Augustus Phelps, it eventually became the home of Judge Ezekiel Cullen.This delightful Museum houses a collection of paintings by the renowned artist S. Seymour Thomas, a native of San Augustine.
 
   
Capt. Downs House  
Built in the early 1900s by Capt. E. D. Downs. Downs came to San Augustine at the turn of the century as a partner in the mercantile firm that still carries his name, the Clark-Downs Co.
 
   
The Milton Garrett Log House  
This hand-hewn log house with two stone cut chimneys was built by Milton Garrett in 1826, and is the oldest standing structure in the County.
Private Property: 11 miles west of the city on Hwy 21
 
William Garrett Home  
Known as the house of Seven Gables, this two story plantation home was built by William Garrett during the Civil War. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Private property: not visible, Hwy 21 West
George Edward Gatling Home  
The Gatling Home was built in 1889 by George Edward and Cynthia Massey Gatling. The home has been continuously owned by the Gatling family.
Private property: not visible, South Liberty Street
T.N.B. Greer Home  
The house was originally a one room frame cabin built by Charleton Payne between 1838-1842. The home was later bought by Thomas N. B. Greer, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto.
Private property: not visible, FM 1277
   
Horatio M. Hanks Home  
A narrow, two-story home with two lower rooms at the back, it was constructed in 1880, and is assumed to have been built by Mrs. Nancy Thacker Hanks Bullock, twice widowed: Horatio Hanks (1854) and S. W. Bullock (1858).
Private property: visible from Young Street
Hollis Building/Yellow House  
A general merchandise store, the Yellow House was built by John P. Border before the Civil War. The current structure, built by I. H. Hollis, was completed in 1884.
Wall plaque on front of Wade Building, Columbia St.
   
C. C. Johnson/Anderson/Teel Home  
The home was built in 1838 for Almanzon Huston. James C. Anderson was owner from 1841-1849. Later it became the property of Martha Anderson, wife of C. C. Johnson.
Private property: visible from road behind Memorial Presbyterian Church
   
William R. Leonard Home/Hillcrest  
Originally built by Professor William R. Leonard, who completed the first part in 1872, and later sold to Leonidas Cartwright. Cartwright enlarged the house to 12 rooms in 1878.
 
Lewis Hotel  
Located at 500 West Columbia Street, just down from the Log Cabin.
   
Log Cabin on the Bayou  
The Log Cabin on the Bayou houses both the San Augustine Civic and Tourism Center and the San Augustine County Chamber of Commerce.
 
Masonic Lodge  
Red Land Lodge #3 was organized in San Augustine in 1837. The Masonic Temple was erected in 1910. It is also the home of the John Gillespie Chapter of the order of Eastern Star organized in 1904.
 
Bob McCauley Home  
Originally a one room structure, called a one-pen fireplace room, the house and outbuildings were made of hand hewn logs. Built by John McCauley.
Private property: located in a remote area off FM 711
Colonel T. L. Mott Home  
Built in 1852, for a time his home was the Mott settlement post office. Mott served as a colonel in the Mississippi Militia in 1838.
Private property: located near Harvey Creek Park
   
Pink Lady  
In 2001 the San Augustine Garden Club purchased this 1917 Victorian home. Just 16 months from the purchase date the project was completed, and the house was named the Pink Lady for its color.
 
Judge H. K. Polk/Ransom Horn Home  
This antebellum clapboard house with double front wings was built in 1840 by Ransom H. Horn, a cabinet and furniture maker, and later purchased by Judge H. K. Polk. Listed on the National Register.
 
L.B. Polk / Sharp House  
Originally built in 1845 by Augustus Phelps, Lucius B. Polk purchased the house in 1852. He eventually willed it to his daughter, Mollie, wife of Frank Sharp.
Private property: visible from County RD 313
   
San Augustine Jail  
The old town jail was built in 1884 of native clay brick, hand molded in a local brick yard. This building replaced an old log jail, built in 1841, of similar size and shape.
   
Col. Franklin B. Sexton Home  
Col. Sexton built his home in 1861. He served as a Colonel in the CSA.
Private property: remote location off FM 354 in the New Hope Community
Lafayette “Pet” Sharp Home  
This galleried frame house was built around 1850 by Lafayette “Pet” Sharp, a cabinet maker. The structure was originally built on a nearby site and later relocated.
   
Straddlefork/Herring Home  
The house was constructed in 1875 by Jacob Herring using hand-planed lumber from his original house located east of the present site across 705.
 
Stripling Drug Store  
The Stripling Drug Store was established in 1904. Many of the store’s furnishings and fixtures are original to the building. Stripling Drug also houses the Old Town Well.
   
Philip A. Sublett Home  
Although known as the Col. Philip A. Sublett home, it was built in 1874 by his son, Henry Sublett. Col. Sublett was a close friend and law partner of General Sam Houston. The entrance door is distinctive for the decorative moulding.
 
   
T.C.S. Wade Hospitality House  
Constructed in 1875 by T.C.S. and Eliza Ann Spivey Wade, the house has a long banister porch with two doors opening into the double-pen fireplace rooms and a third into an enclosed dogtrot hallway.
Private property: visible from FM RD 705