Visit San Augustine

Other Historic Sites

Mission Dolores

Mission Nuestra Senora de los Dolores de los Ais was first established in 1717 along Ayish Bayou, approximately one quarter league west of the present site, south of San Augustine's town center.

Located on high ground to the east of Ayish Bayou, it straddles a modern transportation corridor that has been in existence for over 300 years, originally called El Camino Real.

The mission site has been confirmed by archeological investigation and by historical records. Mission Dolores is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a designated State Archeological Landmark.


The Mission Dolores Visitor Center houses an interactive and interpretive display relating to Mission Nuestra Senora de los Dolores de los Ais, among the earliest missions established in Texas by Fray Antonio Margil de Jesus. For some 56 years, Mission Dolores served the Ais Indians, a division of the Caddo who occupied the East Texas area when the Spanish first arrived.

Across from the visitor center is a 17 acre RV park with 32 level and paved full hook-up sites, sparkling clean restroom and shower facilities, picnic areas, and group pavilions. Walking trails lead from the park to the Mission Visitor Center.

missionrv.sanaugustinetx.com