Visit San Augustine

Other Historic Sites 

There are several impressive historic sites in San Augustine.

From Mission Dolores, founded by the Spaniards on El Camino Real to to the first university chartered by the Republic of Texas, the area's history is still visible.

And though it's been called many things, from the Ayish Bayou to Fredonia (briefly), it's still San Augustine.

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z
Kenneth L. Anderson Law Office    
Site of Anderson’s law office in San Augustine. A District Attorney, Representative and Vice President of the Republic, he was scheduled to be first Governor of Texas at his death in 1845.
Historical marker located on Columbia Street, across from SA Motor Co.
Ayish Bayou    
It rises from deep springs in the north central part of San Augustine County. The Ayish Bayou, named for the Ais Indians, runs southward over the entire length of the county, flowing into in the Angelina River.
Ayish Bayou District    
Coahula Texas was united as one state in the New Republic of Mexico in 1821. Under the new Alcalde system, in 1824 the settlement of the Ais became a department of Bexar. In 1827 the settlement became the Ayish Bayou District.
Battle of Fredonia    
On this site in 1826, Hayden Edwards founded the Republic of Fredonia. The Fredonians built a small fort and raised the flag of Independence, Liberty and Justice. In 1827, Col. Stephen Prather, 9 white settlers and 60 Indians captured the fort and ended the Rebellion.
Site Only: South side of Hwy 21 E, behind present DETEC building
Dr. George L. Crocket Home    
The home was built in 1845 by Dr. Samuel Sexton and later became the home of Dr. Crocket (1861-1936), a noted churchman, scholar, historian, humanitarian and craftsman.
Site only: Corner of Ayish & Market
Custom House    
The Old Custom House was established during the Republic of Texas. For years it was the only public building in town. It also served as the county courthouse until 1854.
El Camino Real (The Kings Highway)    
In 1691 the royal road was created by the first Provincial Governor of Texas. In 1918, historical markers were put in place by the Texas State DAR. El Camino Real was designated a National Historic Trail in 2004.
Goodlaw School    
The Goodlaw School was the original location of Bethel Presbyterian Church.
Site Marker on Spur 85
Gov. James P. Henderson    
Henderson was the first Governor of Texas. The statue was erected in 1936 to commemorate one hundred years of Texas Independence. A marker is placed on the Henderson home site on South Liberty Street.
A. C. Ketchum Home
Mr. Ketchum, a well-known ship's carpenter, completed his home in 1879. The home was built along the same lines and durability of a ship.
Site only
Inlow Lee Mathews Home
An early pioneer leader, Matthews settled in the county from Georgia in 1849.
Site only    
Thomas McFarland Home
A surveyor by profession, he was Aide-de-Camp to Major Bullock, in the Battle of Nacogdoches, 1832. McFarland laid out the town of San Augustine in 1834, and participated in the Siege of Bexar, 1835.
Site only    
J. Simpson Miller Home
Built by carpenter Duncan Crisp around 1875 for Jacob Simpson and Caroline Mathews Miller. The house was noted for its clean-lined cornice treatment and profile porch railing.
Site only    
Mission Nuestra Senora de los Dolores de los Ais
Mission Dolores once stood on the east bank of the Ayish Bayou at the crossing of the El Camino Real until it was closed in 1773. The new Mission Dolores Visitors Center is located near the site.
Norwood Community    
This community was settled in the 1830s by Edwin O. LeGrand and William C. and Eliza LeGrand Norwood. LeGrand was a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto in 1836.
Historical marker at Hwy 147 & 103
Norwood/LeGrand Home    
W. C. Norwood, an early pioneer leader, settled in the county in 1839. His brother-in-law, Edwin O. LeGrand, was a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Site only: house was moved to the Mitchell Farm, FM RD 711
The Redlander Newspaper    
The newspaper began publishing in 1837 with Wyley W. Parker as editor. The paper was sold to and published by Alanson W. Canfield from 1840 through 1843, then by James Russell from 1845 to 1847.
Site is marked with a historical marker on Columbia Street
Elisha Roberts Home    
Roberts held court in the gallery of his home while Alcalde of the Ayish Bayou District in 1831. His home sheltered such men as Sam Houston, James Bowie, David Crockett, and W. B. Travis.
Site only: marker is visible from Hwy 21E
San Augustine County    
The Ayish Bayou District became the Municipality of San Augustine in 1834. The next year it became the District of San Augustine. The County of San Augustine was created in 1836, when Texas won its independence from Mexico.
San Augustine County Courthouse    
This 1927 Classic Revival style building is the third courthouse constructed on the public square, and has recently been added to the National Register of Historic Places.
   
San Augustine University    
The first university chartered by the Republic of Texas; it opened in 1842 with Marcus A. Montrose as President. The educational facility merged with the Wesleyan College into the University of Eastern Texas in 1847. The building was destroyed by fire in 1868.
Site only: marker is visible from the 600 Block of Market Street
Santa Fe Park    
Santa Fe Park is located on west Columbia, behind the city owned tourism and civic center, the Log Cabin on the Bayou.
   
Sawmills Marker    
In 1819, William Ward had a sawmill northwest of San Augustine on Ironosa Creek. In 1825, William Quirk constructed a mill north of San Augustine on the Ayish Bayou.
Site only: marker is on West Columbia Street.
Old Union School    
Site Only: County RD 278
Wesleyan College    
Established in 1842, the College was incorporated in 1844 by the Methodist Church. It merged with San Augustine University in 1847 to form the University of Eastern Texas.
Marker is located outside the elementary school grounds, Main Street / Hwy 21
Newt Whitton Home    
Whitton was County Surveyor from 1871 to 1903. He was appointed by the legislature to locate all county land certificates, survey, and return them to the land office before 1875. He built his home on Blue Creek near Denning in 1884.
Site only