Historic churches blend comfortably into the tree-lined landscape of San Augustine. And these historic churches can claim several firsts:
Featured historic churches are listed below.
Antioch Church of Christ William P. DeFee, who established the Antioch Church of Christ near San Augustine in 1836, was the first minister of the church to preach in Texas.5 Miles North on Hwy. 147
Christ Church Episcopal Organized in 1848 by Mrs. Frances Cox Henderson, wife of the first governor of Texas, the first building was completed in 1851.
McRae Presbyterian Church Organized in 1882 and known as the Wilson Presbyterian Church, the name was eventually changed to McRae Presbyterian Church.Church is still used for services, visitors welcome. Off Hwy 21 W., at 794 CR 220 Memorial Presbyterian Church Organized as the Bethel Presbyterian Church in 1838 in the Goodlaw School House, this is the oldest Presbyterian church in Texas.
Roberts Baptist Church Founded in 1872 by Rev. John Patton, the church site was re-established in 1918 on land deeded by Elisha Roberts.Church is still used for services, visitors welcome. FM RD 2213.
St. Augustine Catholic Church The oldest church in San Augustine dates back to the establishment of Mission Nuestra Senora de los Dolores do los Ais.